So far, I think I am most interested in moving into the realm of just making “something” every day. Not a specific medium or theme, just – something. Anything. But what does that mean, exactly? There have to be some kind of parameters in place, or else this just won’t work. So, I am going to define “something” as one of the following creative acts:
- Working on a knitting, crocheting, sewing or needlepoint project
- Creating a sketch/drawing/painting using pencil, charcoal, pen, colored pencil, pastel, paint, etc.
- Working on writing of some kind – even if it’s just coming up with ideas and outlines – such as fictional stories or poetry
- Taking a creatively framed photograph, or series of photographs
- Designing using graphic design software or tools (such as using my Wacom tablet or Adobe software)
- Creating a recipe of my own design when cooking or baking
- Writing and/or recording original music using sheet music, the keyboard, or computer software
- Writing a blog post about something other than one of these other items (that’s right, blogging itself will be considered a creative act, if it contains my original thoughts about a topic)
Of course, there may be other ways in which I am creative on a given day that don’t fall into this list, and I will be open to finding new ways to expand my horizons and discover new formats, so this is not an exhaustive list. I just wanted to start with something, a list of ideas to get my creative juices flowing. When I feel stuck, I will have somewhere to look to say “just do one of these things” and not have an excuse to skip a day.
On that note, I decided to set up a “Creativity Bag” that would contain the tools for some of these kinds of this – kind of like how I keep a gym bag in my car so that I can’t really get away with not going to the gym, seeing as I have everything I need easily available to me. It’s the same concept – I have a bunch of tools for creating in one place so that all I have to do is grab it and decide which item(s) to use. Currently, my bag contains: the scarf I am knitting (and related items), a sketchbook, a box of pencils/charcoal/erasers etc., a notebook for writing stories and poetry, and one of my favorite pens.
What do you do to get creative? How do you stay focused and motivated? These are obviously topics for posts unto themselves, but I am just wondering what some of the basic tools are that others use to get started and keep themselves going.