I guess most of these posts will be doubles. Again, I have my homework, as well as what I did in class tonight. I am kind of excited because I tried color for the first time!
My homework was still in grey tones, and my professor said she was drawn to it which made me happy! Here it is:
And then here is what I did in class, which was really challenging and, at times, frustrating. But the professor sat down with me for a while and explained some things so I started getting into it by the end. I still have a lot to learn about mixing colors, but her advice was to just jump in and see what happens, and eventually you start to just know what you need to make a particular shade. The only down side is, oil paint is so expensive!!! So, it’s hard to just play with lots of it and waste any… but,that’s the way it goes.
And here is a little bit closer up:
Not as scary as I expected! =)
I have two again, one from class and one from home. I’ll show the one I did at home first, so it’s chronological. I have two photos – flash and no flash – because I couldn’t decide which to use. I don’t think either is right; one is too light and the other is too dark. But, regardless. here it is:
And here is what I did in Thursday’s class:
(The thing on the left is the back of that styrofoam head.)
The professor gave me some good feedback and she said I did well! I am not sure I’m ready to move on to adding color, so she said I could continue doing this for a little while longer if I wanted to. I just feel like I still need to get the hang of determining the values. So that’s probably what I will do for this week. We’ll see.
So, I don’t know how to title my posts anymore, because I’m not counting the days like I did before. Or should I? Hm… I’m not decided on this. Thoughts?
I finally have some work to share! Actually, I have two items. The first is the homework assignment we were given last week, and the second is the painting I did in class last night. Now, bear in mind that I have *never* painted with oil paints before, so they are very rudimentary.
The homework assignment was to only use black and white (and we had to learn to mix our own black) to capture a still life. I somewhat misunderstood her and I put a grey background down too, but she said she still liked it. Ok, so here it is:
The second one was done during class. First I had to create a “grisalle” – eight successive shades of grey. Then I used them to paint this:
If it’s not clear, it’s a face (styrofoam), a ball and a box, with another box behind it and the bottom of a cylinder (it’s a vase) on top of that. I wish I’d had more time to fuss with it because I’d just gotten into the “zone” and suddenly it was time to clean up. So it’s not really finished. But, to be honest, I’m pretty happy with it for my first try.
I have another painting assignment for this week that I am going to work on tomorrow, and I also have to do my homework assignment for my other class as well. I’ll post both when they are done!
(P.S. – I will most likely edit the photos in this post later on because I am particular like that, but I am tired and just wanted to get this out there, so it is what it is.)